Red River Valley at a Glance Red River Valley at a Glance Click to Return to the Red River Valley Concierge Home Page
Finding a Place to Live Getting Started Establishing Yourself Bringing Your Business to Pella
Navigate The Site
Find A Place to Live
Getting Started
Establishing Yourself
Bringing Your Business
RRVC At A Glance
Restaurants & Lodging
For Kids
Navigate This Section
Attractions
Demographics
Directions & Maps
Area Communities
Media
Attractions

The Twin Towns are a charming community with lots of unique attractions.  From golfing to the circus to historical forts to the zoo, you're sure to find something to spark your interest!
Bagg Bonanza Farm Headwaters Park Prairie Rose Chapel
Bois de Sioux Golf Course Highway 75 King of Trails Ringling Brothers Circus Monument
Camping Kidder Recreation Area Richland County Historical Museum
Chahinkapa Park Minnesota Avenue Wilkin County Courthouse
Chahinkapa Zoo Prairie Rose Carousel Wilkin County Museum & Wilkin County Historical Society
Fort Abercrombie ND Historical Society MN Historical Society

Bagg Bonanza Farm
Bonanza farming was well established in the Mooreton, MN area when F.A. Bagg joined his uncle's 9000 acre enterprise in 1886.  Mr. Bagg spent his first year on the Downing Farm working as a carpenter and field hand for twenty dollars per month plus room and board.  The superintendent of the farm left in 1887 and Mr. Bagg was offered and accepted the position of superintendent of the farm.  Upon the death of Mr. Downing in 1913, Mr. Bagg inherited a quarter interest of the farm's holdings.  In 1915, he moved his inheritance, which included land, buildings and machinery, one mile from the Downing farmstead and began his own Bonanza Farm at it's present location.  Open Weekends only (Fri. Sat. Sun.) Noon-5pm
Adults $5.00  Ages 6-12 $2.50  Under 6 Free.
(701) 274-8989  Wahpeton Visitors Center

return to top

Bois de Sioux Golf Course
The Bois de Sioux Golf Club is the only public golf course in the nation to have nine holes in one state and nine holes located in another state.  The front side is in Wahpeton, ND, and the back side in Breckenridge, MN.  The course measures approximately 6,700 yards and is challenging for the skilled and entertaining for the novice.  The course offers watered greens, tees, and fairways.  The club has been the home of a number of state tournaments.  Hours may vary depending on weather and course activity.  Contact the Pro Shop for additional information, driving range hours and fees.
(701) 642-3673  Wahpeton Visitors Center

return to top

Camping
Welles Memorial Park
in Breckenridge, Minnesota has primitive campsites available.  The fee is $10.00 and includes electrical hookups.  Reservations accepted.  Call (218) 643-1431.
Chahinkapa Park in Wahpeton, North Dakota has six trailer sites with electrical hookups, showers and restrooms, areas for tent sites and sewer disposal.
Kidder Recreation Area has eight trailer sites with electrical and water hookups, tenting areas, showers and restrooms.
Fee for camping in Wahpeton is $10.00 per vehicle or $7.00 tents, reservations accepted for $5.00 extra.  Call (701) 642-2811  www.wahpetonpark.com

Aber Park Museum & Camping is located 17 miles North of Wahpeton in Abercrombie ND. Near boat landing for Red River Access. Water hookups and tent area available. Campfire allowed, playground and picnic area.  Call (701) 553-8831

 

return to top

Chahinkapa Park
Wahpeton's largest park is the 85 acre Chahinkapa Park.  People seeking recreation will find a variety of activity areas, including a swimming pool complex with a 178 foot double loop water slide, baseball field, softball field, football field, tennis courts, multi-purpose courts, horseshoe courts, basketball courts, and lots of green open space.  Several large picnic shelters can be reserved for reunions, picnics, and informational gatherings.  Chahinkapa Park also offers a three-pod modern playground, including multi-purpose equipment for tots and older children and a separate swing pod.  In the winter, ice skating, broomball, hockey, cross-country skiing, and snow shoeing can be enjoyed at the Rosemeade Chalet.  (701) 642-2811
www.wahpetonpark.com

return to top

Chahinkapa Zoo
Chahinkapa Zoo in Wahpeton, is committed to providing clean and green natural habitats for its animal residents and aesthetic and educational leisure for its zoo visitors.  Over 200 animals and birds of 60 different species make the zoo their home.  Also "Grandpa's Little Zoo" is a very popular hands-on educational area for the children to see and pet a variety of farm animals.  Located at 1004 R.J. Hughes Drive.  Admission:  Ages 4 to 12 - $4.00; Ages 13 & Up - $8.00; Seniors Citizens - $7.00; Season Pass - $55.00 (family) or $30.00 (single).  Zoo Hours:  May - August 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.; September - October 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 (701) 642-8709  http://www.chahinkapazoo.org/

return to top

Fort Abercrombie
Fort Abercrombie was established on August 28th, 1858 on the Red River in Dakota Territory by Lieutenant Colonel John J. Abercrombie.  Because of the threat of flooding, the fort was moved to its present location on the eastern edge of present-day Abercrombie, Richland County in 1859.  It was the first permanent United States military fort established in what was to become North Dakota and was also the only post in the area besieged by Sioux warriors for more than six weeks during the Dakota Conflict in 1862.  For Abercrombie is free and open all year around.  Admission charge for interpretive center.  Located 15 miles northwest of Wahpeton Breckenridge.  www.fortabercrombie.com
(701) 553-8513 

Fort Abercrombie Museum & Pavilion
Located in Abercrombie. Open May 16th through September 15th.  Hours are Thursday through Monday 8am - 5pm.  Admission: Adults $3.00, Children $1.50 Pavilion is open for rent for special occasions. Kitchen, electricity, stage, table & chairs. Grounds include Gazebo, playground and picnic tables.  Camping Space available on grounds.
 Info: (701) 553-8831

return to top

Headwaters Park
Breckenridge Headwaters Monument. Breckenridge is the headwaters of the great Red River of the North, which is formed by the Otter Tail and Bois de Sioux Rivers coming together. This monument commemorates the steam boats and barges that carried goods along the trade corridor. On May 22, 2000, Project Breckenridge hosted the opening of the Red River Millennium Canoe Tour. The canoe tour the length of the river was organized as a way to celebrate the river's history in transportation and commerce of the region. The tour traveled approximately 550 water miles to Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada. The monument was dedicated on September 9, 2000, when Breckenridge celebrated Headwaters Day.
Friendship Sculpture Monument.

The Friendship Sculpture is also located in the Headwaters Park. It observes the history of the Red River and its link to Breckenridge.

return to top

Highway 75 King of Trails
Imagine traveling one road through the center of America going through six states and almost 70 miles into Canada.  Visit the King of Trails website for more information.  www.highway75.com 

return to top

Kidder Recreation Area
Fast becoming the best "catch" of the day is the Kidder Recreation Area in north Wahpeton.  The Kidder Recreation Area is 26 acres, located along the Red River.  The Kidder Recreation Area is also home to "Wahpper," the World's Largest Catfish.
This area includes recreation areas like garden plots, an arboretum, excellent fishing along shorelines, fish cleaning station, picnic shelter, restrooms and showers, modern campsites with water and electricity, a boat ramp and fishing piers.  The Kidder Recreation Area provides great photo opportunities and relaxing quiet times for the whole family in a beautiful setting.  This is worth the stop!  The Kidder Recreation Area is located on the south side of the 210 bypass.  Entrance is north of 18th Ave. off 4th Street.  (701) 642-2811 
www.wahpetonpark.com

return to top

Minnesota Avenue
Great Northern Railroad Park, Depot & Caboose. The park boasts a fully restored railroad caboose. In the late 1850's, the community was a railroad village and distribution point. The coming of the railroad completely changed the life of this prairie river town. Railroad Park was established to remember the railroad heritage of Breckenridge. In 1990, the caboose was acquired and located in the park as a tribute to all men who served the railroad. This area features railroad signage, original platform bricks from the depot and a granite monument depicting the railroad history and a local rail mascot. The Railroad Park is located on Minnesota Avenue beside Highway 75 (5th Street) in Breckenridge.

The Streetcar Memorial Marker is located in the Railroad Park. It honors the shortest interstate streetcar line in the U.S. which ran from Breckenridge, MN to Wahpeton, ND (about 1.14 miles). Half of the line was in each state. The streetcar was in operation from 1910 to 1925. The Wahpeton-Breckenridge Street Railway Company was organized in 1907. In the early years of Breckenridge, the streetcar was the first means of transportation joining the two cities. Before the bridge was built over the Bois de Sioux River, a ferry operated between the two cities. The streetcar traveled about 15 to 20 miles per hour and passengers were charged 5 cents per ride.


Commemorative Flower Garden and Gazebo. The Gazebo was dedicated in September 1991 to former City Clerk-Treasurer Mike Casper. Beautiful and colorful flowers are planted annually in early to mid May by community volunteers.

return to top

Prairie Rose Carousel
Located in Wahpeton is a fully restored 1926 antique carousel which is only one of the 150 original wooden horse carousels still operating in the United States.  After four years of meticulous restorations of its 20 wooden horses, two chariots, calliope and mechanism, it's open to the public daily Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. located next to the Chahinkapa Zoo.  Come and enjoy a ride from the past. 
(701) 642-8709   Wahpeton Visitors Center

return to top

Prairie Rose Chapel
This small country style chapel was built in the early 1940's.  Being the last one of its kind in the City of Wahpeton, a group involved with the Chahinkapa Park and Chahinkapa Zoo felt it should be saved from the wrecking ball.  After funds were donated, it was moved to the park adjacent to the Prairie Rose Carousel and Chahinkapa Zoo.  The Prairie Rose Chapel has been completely renovated including heat and air conditioning.  It is truly a work of art and must be seen to appreciate its country charm.  Located at R.J. Hughes Drive.
(701) 642-2811
Wahpeton Visitors Center

return to top

Ringling Brothers Circus Monument
The weather was bad on the morning of June 10, 1897; rainy, with thunderstorms approaching.  But there was work to be done.  The Ringling Brothers Circus was setting up for a show that evening in Wahpeton.  As circus workers raised the tent, a clap of thunder and a bolt of lightning pierced the sky.  A shock of lightning struck one of the main poles, killed town men outright, and severely stunned three others.  The two victims, Charles Smith and Charles Walters, were buried in a pauper's cemetery just south of town.  A third man died from his injuries a year later.  A monument marks the graves of Smith and Walters.  It's an exact replica of the stricken post, right down to the rope and the chain that the men were using to hoist the top.  The monument is in Riverside Cemetery, just south of Wahpeton on Old U.S. Highway 81.
(701) 642-8744  Wahpeton Visitors Center

return to top

Richland County Historical Museum
The Richland County Historical Museum, in Wahpeton, was built in 1965and provides more than 12,500 square feet of display space.  Come and see their extensive collection of beautiful 'Rosemeade Pottery' (originally produced in Wahpeton), Native American collections, the world's largest guest register, and many other displays.  Open Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.; closed during the winter.
(701) 642-3075  Wahpeton Visitors Center

return to top

Wilkin County Courthouse
Wilkin County was established under its present name on March 6, 1868. It was originally organized on March 18, 1858 as Toombs County. The Wilkin County Courthouse is a beautiful and unique structure and on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States. Construction began in the fall of 1927 after debris from the old courthouse fire was cleared. The rotunmda depicts the history of Wilkin County in the four different paintings hanging there. Overhead is the rounded dome with its colored glass and dome lights to complete the work of art. The courthouse is located on 5th Street South in Breckenridge.

return to top

Wilkin County Museum & Wilkin County Historical Society
The museum houses eight rooms filled with items and antiques tracing Wilkin County's past. Re-created rooms include a living area, a bedroom, a 1920 kitchen, a hospital room, a chapel, a laundry room and an old bank from Kent, MN. On the lower level are many pieces of small farm equipment and farm machines plus countless smaller exhibits. The museum is located at 704 Nebraska Avenue.

return to top

[Home] [ Find A Place to Live ] [ Getting Started ] [ Establishing Yourself ] [ Bringing Your Business to Us]

[ RRVC At A Glance ] [ Employment Opportunities ] [ Events & Activities ]
[ Recreation & Nightlife ] [ Restaurants & Lodging ] [ For Kids ]

Red River Valley Concierge - (701) 642-8744 Phone (701) 642-8745 Fax